A Highly Ornamental and Delicious Garlic Chive!
This unique plant is both highly ornamental and edible. It is a flat-leaf garlic chive with a soft onion and garlic flavor. In our taste tests, it was rated to have better flavor than other market varieties. The lavender pompom flowers are plentiful and blooms are present for up to 3 to 4 weeks. It’s one of those rare plants that combines beauty and utility. The leaves and flowers are edible and can be harvested from spring into early fall. It has great heat and humidity tolerance as well.
This is a great garden plant, but is also a wonderful container plant. Garlic chives are great in stir-fry dishes, with eggs, or in dumplings. They can be minced and used to finish meat, poultry, or seafood dishes and used to flavor soups, marinades, vinegar, and dipping sauces.
Crispy Potato Chive Appetizers
2-3 large red potatoes (the bigger, the better)
1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 cup finely chopped AlliYUM chives
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
DirectionsClick to Expand/Collapse
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking pan with tin foil and set aside.
2. Use a mandoline to slice the potatoes thinly and uniformly. The slices need to be thin enough to fold. Place the slices in a bowl.
3. Add olive oil, garlic powder and smoked paprika to the bowl and gently mix until the potatoes are coated.
4. Fold each potato slice into quarters and slide 3-4 on each toothpick. Don’t pack them too tightly together or they won’t cook in the middle. Press gently inside the folds of the potato slices to open the loops up a bit. Place them on the prepared pan. Again, don’t pack them too tightly.
5. Sprinkle each with sea salt and pepper, turning to season all sides.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes. About halfway though baking, pull the pan out, flip the crisps over and sprinkle with chives and parmesan and return to oven until browned and crispy around the edges. Enjoy alone as an appetizer or with your favorite dip!